Have you ever jumped out of your skin? Other than talking about being extra jumpy as a teenager, for me I would have to say I experience more of a sense of wanting to climb out of my skin.
This last week, we had a cold circulating in our home, and you know what comes with colds. The ever running Niagara falls nose of snot!
Our poor Jade started merely with a little cough and just wanting to cuddle mommy. It then over the next few hours developed into a runny nose and now a slight fever. It's been like this since Monday afternoon.
But that's not the worst of it. The cold decided to spread! Her two brothers are suffering from dry coughs and headaches, and mommy developed a tightness in my lungs, congested cough and a slight bit of nausea.
So you can imagine the JadeLouise Designs' household is a bit off our game this week. We've taken sick day after sick day, hoping the next day will be better than the last. Yet as we sit on our fourth sick day this week, I'm about ready to crawl out of my skin! I need something to perk up our spirits!
Things to make sick days more bearable:
1. Easy food. Sure when you are sick you need nutritious food, but when Mommy is sick, you also need EASY food to make. Take a moment and order out a meal so you can just rest. And make it something that sounds delicious to you, as you need some food versus no food at all.
2. Soothing Drinks: With any sickness you need to ensure you are getting enough liquid to help your body eliminate the cold. One of the things I find to be the most soothing is an herbal tea known to help boost immune system. Yet I hate tea! We don't drink it in our family, with one exception! When we are sick. But we also use a trick…instead of steeping the herbal tea in water, we steep it into hot apple juice. It ends up making it taste more like Apple Cider, is delicious, calming and even the kids will drink it. It helps to soothe sore throats, calm nerves, and gives a little relief to cold symptoms.
3. A Good Book. Allow yourself down time to just rest. One of my favorite things to do when I'm sick is curl up with a great new book and read until I fall asleep.
4. TV Time is OK. Normally we try to limit the amount of time spent watching TV, but when you are sick, you need to give yourself a break. TV Time is ok when you are under the weather. It will entertain the kids, keep everyone resting and allows for some entertainment.
5. Sleep. Welcome back nap time! Have the kids all cuddle up in blankets either in their own beds for their own naps, or in front of the TV. Inform everyone that it is "quite time" or "nap time' and set a designated time as to how long everything has to stay calm and quiet. And then as long as your kids are safe and situated, go ahead and let yourself fall asleep for a little while. It will help your body fight off the cold, and also give you time without thinking about how miserable you are.
What things do you find help when you are experiencing a Sick day?
Have you ever wanted to jumped out of your skin?